“Ferroptosis Detection – Selection Guide”
Necrosis, apoptosis and autophagy is known as cell death-related processes. In 2012, Ferroptosis was proposed as one of new cell deaths. Ferroptosis is studied as non apoptotic cell death caused by accumulation of iron ion-dependent lipid peroxide.
Ferroptosis from Various Indicators
Example of Measurements of Glutamine/Glutamate level in Ferroptosis research
It is known that an iron-dependent cell death called “ferroptosis” is induced when xCT is inhibited by elastin treatment. The amounts of glutamate release and intracellular glutathione were measured by using the elastin-treated A549 cells. As a result, the amount of glutamate release was decreased in the elastin-treated A549 cells, and the amount of intracellular glutathione was decreased by inhibiting cystine uptake.
Fluctuation of factors involved in ferroptosis
1. Mon, E. et al., “Regulation of mitochondrial iron homeostasis by sideroflexin 2”, The Journal of Physiological Sciences, 2019, 69(2), 359–373.
2. Takashima, M. et al., “Neuroprotective effects of Brazilian green propolis on oxytosis/ferroptosis in mouse hippocampal HT22 cells”, Food and Chemical Toxicology, 2019, 132, 110669.
3. Wang, Y. et al., “PM2.5 induces ferroptosis in human endothelial cells through iron overload and redox imbalance”, Environmental Pollution, 2019, 254(A), 112937.
4. Yambire, K. et al., “Impaired lysosomal acidification triggers iron deficiency, necrotic cell death and inflammation in vivo”, bioRxiv, 2019, doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/710798.
5. Kagan, V. et al., “Oxidized Arachidonic/Adrenic Phosphatidylethanolamines Navigate Cells to Ferroptosis”, Nat. Chem. Biol., 2017, 13(1), 81.
6. Dar, H. et al., “Pseudomonas aeruginosa utilizes host polyunsaturated phosphatidylethanolamines to trigger theft-ferroptosis in bronchial epithelium”, J Clin Invest. 2018, 128(10), 4639-4653.
7. Totsuka, K. et al., “Oxidative stress induces ferroptotic cell death in retinal pigment epithelial cells”, Experimental Eye Research, 2019, 181, 316-324.
8. Fujiki, K. et al., “Blockade of ALK4/5 signaling suppresses cadmium- and erastin-induced cell death in renal proximal tubular epithelial cells via distinct signaling mechanisms.”, Cell Death Differ. 2019, 26(11), 2371-2385.
9. Alborzinia, H. et al., "Golgi stress mediates redox imbalance and ferroptosis in human cells", Commun Biol., 2018, 1(210), DOI: 10.1038/s42003-018-0212-6.